For this blog we partnered with Natural Nipple. This blog post is with Rachel Friedman and focuses on the top challenges parents are facing right now and 5 tools to help cope in a crisis!
- Master Self Regulation
Meditation can be a daunting task when not knowing where to start, so how can we make mindful meditation stick?
- Set aside 3 to 5 minutes a day for meditation - add a minute each day to work up to 20-30 minutes.
- Neuro-cycling - allow yourself to become aware of your body and thoughts!
- Acceptance - not all plans made will go accordingly & that’s okay!
- Pick 3 things that are manageable & accomplishable, that will nourish you- you can't give from an empty container, take the time to fill yours up first.
- Build Self Trust
Plan in advance to do things for yourself & strive to accomplish them!
- Work on self discipline - allows you to be there for your kids, partner & self.
- Learn to believe in yourself!
- Set Boundaries
The pandemic has created challenges for everyone, but for children the lack of social interaction has been extremely detrimental. Social interaction is an important factor in childhood development & Due to the guilt parents are feeling about their kids’ unhappiness, boundaries often slip away.
- What keeps most parents from setting boundaries? Guilt!
- Be clear with yourself & others
- Carve Out Time to Manage Expectations
Being a parent, you are always busy & things won't always go as planned.
- Stop expecting yourself to be perfect, perfect does not exist!
- Social media can add more pressure to yourself - let’s eliminate comparison!
- You can only be your best self when getting in touch & authentic with what needs are coming up for you- communicate them clearly!
- Acknowledge What You Did Well
Be proud of where you are in life, it’s about the journey not the destination!
- Lift yourself up for doing the little things
- Use affirmations & mantras like “I’m doing the best I can with the resources I have right now!”